Skip to main content

Buck Up Parents: Who Owns Your Child's Phone

This mom is bold, brave and, well, doing what every parent should do. Janell Burley Hoffman uses the cell phone as an opportunity to teach her son how to be a responsible phone user. First and foremost, she emphasizes that she is the owner of the phone, not him. At age 13, he is allowed to borrow a device that she provides and that she will monitor. I encourage more parents to use this contract with their child.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/janell-burley-hofmann/iphone-contract-from-your-mom_b_2372493.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today feels like another Monday but according to the calendar its Tuesday. That's what 'snow days' do to the brain. Yesterday was called off due to a pretty good snowstorm which was a little bit of a blessing in disguise. Monday mornings after the time change are brutal. In this house we all benefited from some time to sleep in instead of waking up at 6am which was really 5am in our body clocks. "Today is Tuesday, today is tuesday, today is Tuesday, tod...." I'll be humming that mantra to myself until at least mid-day. This leads me to thinking about that hairy edge between sleep and wakefulness. We all deal with that hairy edge in different ways. For some of us, (like me!) it is travel through a space and time warp to get from that deep slumber to the point of being alert enough to pull the covers back and stand up. But once we are up, we are pretty much awake and ready to get dressed and go. For me, this waking up process that happens under the covers with m...

Do you get "it"?

Lately, I'm wondering if I'm missing the point. In life, when I'm not getting it, "it" keeps popping up. But what is "it"? A few weeks ago, the dogs encountered a skunk which was a true debacle. I don't know that anyone has every had such an intense disruption of the day due to a skunk encounter as I did that day. Then a week later, I was rudely accused of falling down on the job by a snotty-nosed kid just out of college. To make matters worse, I referred to him by the name of his predecessor (who was fired) in correspondence with his boss. To top it all off, it took me 4 hours to make a 3 hour cartrip home yesterday. I kept missing the exits I needed. Both times I was talking on the phone when I drove right past the exits without realizing it. Do you see the pattern here? I think I do. I've spent the past few weeks cleaning up one mess after the other. First, I cleaned up dogs. That took several days of work and the odor of skunk still lingers i...

Skunk deodorizers cause cancer

Skunks stink! I will be a very happy woman if I never have to deal with skunked pets again. Ummmm, did I just jinx myself? I've tried every recipe/solution that was recommended and both dogs still have skunk smell. I just can't understand why some chemist hasn't come up with a compound that works to neutralize skunk odor. If Dow can develop chemicals that defoliate jungles, make plastics work in all temperatures, improve efficiency of motor oils, etc... then can't they come up with something to help the common person with skunk trouble? I imagine that it would be a profitable business for them. But then again, the chemical would probably cause cancer and would mimic human hormones. With that said, I'll stick with the basics like vinegar and baking soda and just pray that after 10 more washings the odor will be minimal!