Today feels like another Monday but according to the calendar its Tuesday. That's what 'snow days' do to the brain. Yesterday was called off due to a pretty good snowstorm which was a little bit of a blessing in disguise. Monday mornings after the time change are brutal. In this house we all benefited from some time to sleep in instead of waking up at 6am which was really 5am in our body clocks. "Today is Tuesday, today is tuesday, today is Tuesday, tod...." I'll be humming that mantra to myself until at least mid-day.
This leads me to thinking about that hairy edge between sleep and wakefulness. We all deal with that hairy edge in different ways. For some of us, (like me!) it is travel through a space and time warp to get from that deep slumber to the point of being alert enough to pull the covers back and stand up. But once we are up, we are pretty much awake and ready to get dressed and go. For me, this waking up process that happens under the covers with my eyelids closed lasts for about 1 hour when I allow myself to be on my body's schedule. I starting rousing at 6:30 and am ready to stand up and walk away from the cozy bed at 7:15 to 7:30. In my old life when I had to be driving away from the house by 6:30 or 7, I had to force the process to start at about 5am because it took much longer when forced. Needless to say, I am not what you call a "morning person". But who really is?
Another way of bridging that gap between peaceful slumber and wakefulness is to simply pop right out of bed when the buzzer goes off. Oddly enough, these wakers still need that hour of transition they just go through it walking around the house, bumping into things with a strong cup of coffee going down the hatch. These are the ones who no one dares to talk to until after the 2nd cup of coffee lest you have your hair singed from the fire that this dragon can shoot out.
In reality, maybe no one is a morning person. We all just have different ways of bridging that hairy edge between.
This leads me to thinking about that hairy edge between sleep and wakefulness. We all deal with that hairy edge in different ways. For some of us, (like me!) it is travel through a space and time warp to get from that deep slumber to the point of being alert enough to pull the covers back and stand up. But once we are up, we are pretty much awake and ready to get dressed and go. For me, this waking up process that happens under the covers with my eyelids closed lasts for about 1 hour when I allow myself to be on my body's schedule. I starting rousing at 6:30 and am ready to stand up and walk away from the cozy bed at 7:15 to 7:30. In my old life when I had to be driving away from the house by 6:30 or 7, I had to force the process to start at about 5am because it took much longer when forced. Needless to say, I am not what you call a "morning person". But who really is?
Another way of bridging that gap between peaceful slumber and wakefulness is to simply pop right out of bed when the buzzer goes off. Oddly enough, these wakers still need that hour of transition they just go through it walking around the house, bumping into things with a strong cup of coffee going down the hatch. These are the ones who no one dares to talk to until after the 2nd cup of coffee lest you have your hair singed from the fire that this dragon can shoot out.
In reality, maybe no one is a morning person. We all just have different ways of bridging that hairy edge between.
Comments
Post a Comment